Good advice from all. Typically, reef before reducing headsail. General
guidelines for my 35-1(in kts true):

Light 155 and full main to 10
All purpose 155 to 14-16
1st reef at 14 if carrying a 155
125 to 17-18
95 on inboard track to 20
95 on toe rail 20+

Sometimes we carry a full main with the 125 in waves. Just depends. If we start
with the 125, we usually start with a full main.

Moving the clew outboard is a clever way to make the sail plan less aggressive.

Twisting off is also good in heavy air.  For the headsail, move the lead aft
several inches. For the main, raise the traveler and ease the sheet.

Buddy of mine says you never drop from a #1 to a #2, you always drop to a #3. I
tend to agree. We may start with a #2 but we usually drop two sails.

Dennis C.
Touché 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA