Presumably you only need to work on the bushings if the rudder post is flopping
around . . . .
If you have the ‘Velvet Touch’ on the helm, maybe your rudder post is a lot
happier  . . . . . Ha  . . . .
I’ve designed a couple of needle bearings in my time, so if I was rich, I’d be
trying to get a couple of custom roller bearings as a replacement, but they
would only cost several thousand dollars I suspect . . . .

Cheers,  Rob Ball  C&C 34

Rob:

    Is this a project that owners of all boats of a certain age should be doing
(my boat is now over 40 years old), or are there indicators when this issue
needs a closer look?