Dave,

Yes, broken heat exchanger anodes is a common issue.  Happens on Touche'
frequently.  :(

First, you can simply take a dowel or rod and tap the anode piece into the
exchanger.  Depending on how many other anode bits are in the exchanger,
you may be fine.  HOWEVER, IF this has been done a bunch of times, there is
a potential for one pass of your exchanger to be restricted and you will
suffer engine overheating.

I went through this last year with my Universal 25XPB.  Fix is
straightforward but may be complicated by access to your exchanger.  You'll
need to remove the exchanger end caps and remove ALL the anode bits.  Flush
the tubes liberally with pressure water.  Chances are the tubes are fairly
clean but inspect them to be sure.  Due to access issues, I shined a light
in one end while looking with a mirror on the other end.  If clean,
reinstall the end caps with NEW gaskets.  You can install the new anode
before you put the end caps on just to see what it looks like inside the
exchanger.  Just helps with visualization.

Here's a good article on the issue:

https://marinehowto.com/westerbeke-universal-marine-heat-exchanger-cleaning/

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83