As for the water heater, it sounds like you need to get a bigger pipe
wrench.  I'll PM you a picture I took of mine tonight.  It is about 4 years
old and looking pretty rough.  I think it will last at least through till
next year.

Use a shop-vac to suck out the other piece of the anode from the engine.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Solomons, MD