I race quite a bit (more than I cruise) and I have not used the reaching strut in years, though it carried below on the shelf above the v-berth.  We use both a sheet and a guy attached to each clue.  The sheet is lead to a turning blocks at the aft most opening on the toe rail, the guy is lead to a snatch block on the toe rail about a foot aft of the lower-aft shroud, then inboard aft to the cockpit.  In light air we will drop the guy and just go with the sheet.  The shackle of the guy is normally hooked into the ring of the sheet's shackle. For spinnaker take downs we grab the lazy guy, easy since there is no tension on it, lead it over the life line down the companionway into cabin. Then let the pole go forward and blow the sheet's shackle (guy is hooked into the sheet) and haul the chute down behind the main. Two other advantages with this arrangement is that with the guy led into the toe rail amidships it also acts as a pole downhaul and when running dead before the wind, in very heavy blow we choke the spinnaker with the lazy guy to inhibit death roles.

Don Kern
Fireball C&C35 MK2
Bristol, RI