I’m getting nervous just sitting here reading about it.  In my view, it’s the
scariest part of racing, and C&Cs of our vintage – at least mine – get pushed
around by quartering waves, making a round up more likely.

From: Dennis C. via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 4:32 PM
To: CnClist
Cc: Dennis C.
Subject: Re: Stus-List Reaching Strut Pole replacement - death roll

Our rule to minimize the possibility of a death roll is to NEVER, EVER let the
center seam of the chute be to windward of the forestay in heavy breeze.
That's on the guy trimmer.  It's one of the few things one can do on Touche'
where you get yelled at by me.

Ease the pole forward so the center seam is 1-2 feet to leeward of the
forestay.  If the boat starts to heel to windward, ease the pole more and trim
the chute IN, not out.  Pulling the chute behind the main will lessen the
chance of a death roll.  Unfortunately, the natural tendency of most trimmers
is to ease or release a sail in such a situation.  If the chute is eased, it
will swing further to windward and drag the boat down into a death roll.  Bad,
bad scene.

For non-racers, death rolls are scary bad.  They can occur when sailing dead
downwind with the chute poled out.  The boat can become unstable and start into
a "windshield wiper" oscillation.  If extreme, the boat heels well to windward
and the pole enters the water.  The speed of the boat can snap the pole's
bridle or downhaul and the pole will pivot into the shrouds.  It can bring the
rig down.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA