Jockey poles and reaching struts are the same thing, and legal.  I’ll take it.

From: Bill Coleman via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 5:36 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Bill Coleman
Subject: Re: Stus-List Reaching Strut Pole replacement

These are what I consider outriggers.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/sports/2017/01/20/vendee-globe-armel-le-cleach-around-the-world-solo-sailing-race-world-record-mainsail-orig.cnn

Does that mean you don’t want my strut?

Bill Coleman

C&C 39 Erie, PA

From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Matthew L.
Wolford via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 5:19 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Matthew L. Wolford

FYI, from the RRS interpretative case law:

Case 97

Rule 50.3, Setting and Sheeting Sails: Use of Outriggers

A jockey pole attached to a spinnaker guy is not an outrigger.

Question

Is a jockey pole (a pole that exerts outward pressure on the line that controls
the fore and aft position of a spinnaker pole) an outrigger?

Answer

No. When a spinnaker pole is set, the line that controls the fore and aft
position of that pole is a guy, not a sheet. A jockey pole putting outward
pressure on a guy is therefore not an outrigger, defined by rule 50.3(a) as a
"fitting or device" that exerts "outward pressure on a sheet or sail".

I believe what the case refers to as a “jockey pole” is the same thing as a
“reaching strut.”