One last thing on this topic: there are two reported cases indicating that a
person leaning out holding a sheet is also not an outrigger.

From: Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 12:09 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Matthew L. Wolford
Subject: Re: Stus-List Reaching Strut Pole replacement (now RRS 50.3)

Michael:

    I assume that you sent your note below about there being no exception for
reaching struts before I sent my note about Case 97.  I don’t know who decides
cases arising under the Rules these days (I used to follow Cases and US Sailing
Appeals), but it used to be the ISAF Racing Rules Committee (International
Sailing Federation).  I believe the organization is now called World Sailing or
something.  When a Case is decided, that establishes how a Rule is to be
interpreted unless there is a contrary US Sailing prescription (on my side of
the pond).  I assume that Canada has a similar prescription process.

    After your note about reaching struts yesterday, I searched
RacingRulesOfSailing.org to see if any cases had been decided under Rule 50.3
about reaching struts being a prohibited outrigger.  I found Case 97, which
interpreted the term “outrigger” as used in Rule 50.3 to not prohibit “jockey
poles” because they redirect the guy, not a sheet or a sail.  A jockey pole is
the same thing as a reaching strut, so I do not understand your follow-up
comment below that you “have not found an exception.”  Case 97 clearly
interprets the term “outrigger” as not applying to jockey poles (i.e., reaching
struts).  Am I missing something?

    Matt Wolford
    C&C 42 Custom