Long story, but our local racing fleet has made a requirement that a boat must
carry a handheld VHF with DSC for offshore.

Admittedly, I haven’t looked into this yet, but my question to this crowd is; I
already have an issued MMSI number for the boat’s AIS, is it smart to use that
same number for the handheld also?   It seems, since it is portable and I
theoretically could carry the handheld to any boat, I should register it with
it’s own MMSI.   Is anyone aware of requirements or standard procedure for this?

Second question, are other fleets out there requiring this?

Thanks,