From: CnC-List <cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com> on behalf of Shawn Wright via
CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 7:04 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Shawn Wright
Subject: Re: Stus-List Tablet for navigation

I recently got an Acer 9.6 tablet for $160 CAD for travel, and eventually to
use with Navionics or similar. I used it for a month in Costa Rica (where I
tethered it to the data on my cell phone - 30 days/2Gb data for $20!) for email
and GPS with google maps (we rented a car for 2 weeks) and it worked great. I
bought this unit because it has two USB ports and a micro SD slot - I added
another 64Gb storage, and I also used one of the USB ports to charge my cell
phone via a micro USB to USB adapter, which also allows me to plug in an SD
card reader for photo downloads. Not the most powerful tablet, but I like
having the extra ports, so I only need to carry one USB wall charger to charge
two devices.

I haven't tried Navonics yet, but may try Open Plotter first...

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:37 AM Dr. Mark Bodnar via CnC-List

Tom,

As noted the Apple products have the GPS chip tied to the cell system - thus
requiring you buy a more expensive cellular enabled unit.

Another option is Android tablets.  For $160 cdn you can get an Acer 8" screen
Android tablet at Costco, or $230 for a 9.6" screen Samsung - neither has cell
capacity but both should have the GPS capacity you're looking for.  Cheaper
than the iPad.  Of course there are other Android options that rival the iPad
costs - some even with built in waterproofing.

I use a couple older tablets for my navigation - download maps and info with
WiFi when I'm at home.  They do come with one challenge that I've noticed -
harder to find good cases for some of these tablets because they don't have the
sales numbers of Apple.

Mark

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
  - George Santayana