After Hurricane Florence we replaced 3 halyards on 2 boats just that way. We
used a 52’ Morgan OI at the docks, and pulled the two smaller boats (a 37 and a
27) up to the Morgan with masts aligned and securely positioned with lines and
fenders. The guy who was feeding the messenger line went up the mast of the
Morgan in a harness, and then transferred to the target masts using spreaders
and shrouds.

One tip is to use a  length of bicycle chain for your weight. I slips pretty
easily down the mast, fits through the opening in the mast when it gets to the
bottom, and can be pulled out with either a magnet or a bend coat hanger wire.
YMMV

Rick Brass

Washington, NC