I picked up a used Mastclimber on Ebay this winter.  I have not used it yet,
but am thinking ahead so I am ready when I need it.  When I went up the mast a
few years ago with an expert’s equipment and help, I was pulled up on a halyard
and the main winch.  I had a strap around the mast to keep me from swinging out
away from the mast in waves.  The ATN device allows you to climb a fixed
halyard so should have less tendency for swinging.  I am wondering if I should
still have a safety strap around the mast, but if so,  it must be something
that is easily attached and detached to get above spreaders.  Do the expert
climbers in the group think that safety is necessary, and if so, what device do
I want?  Line with carabiners on each end or something else?  Thanks- Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT