I can speak from experience on my LF38.  Your problem is most likely a
misalignment in the upper rudder bearing--the one mounted right below the helm
mounted with 4 bolts.  The correction is probably best performed out of the
water.  Simply loosen the four bolts & move the bearing until the steering
frees up then tighten the mounting bolts.

If this is not the problem I would add grease to the grease cup on the rudder
shaft.

Bob

Bob Boyer
S/V Rainy Days (1983 C&C Landfall 38 - Hull #230)
Blog: dainyrays.blogspot.com
Email: dainyr...@icloud.com
Annapolis, MD
(Presently in Charleston SC for the winter)