I'm not convinced you can throw an anchor far enough to kedge.  You
wouldn't have a lot of scope and you'd be pulling up rather than
horizontally.

I've always thought that kedging was best accomplished by hauling an anchor
well away from the boat with a dinghy or floating it out on a PFD.

I was on an old LST in the Navy.  After we beached the ship bow first, we
would lower a stern anchor down and tie it to a couple of large timbers
tied between two Higgins Papa boats.  (A Papa boat is the one usually shown
in Marine storming the beach films where the ramp drops down and the
Marines charge ashore.)  The Papa boats would carry the anchor out a
hundred yards or so and a bosun mate would cut the line with an axe.  Then
we'd pull the ship off the beach with the stern anchor.  Now THAT's kedging.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA