It looks to me like those screws in the mast may hold the mast to the step as
required by IYRU ( or whatever they're calling themselves today) for offshore
racing. I would definitely remove the screws. I can’t think of a downside if
I’m wrong, and you certainly don’t want to try getting the step out through the
partners!

Andy

Andrew Burton
139 Tuckerman Ave