Hello all,
Some of you may remember a few weeks back I was inquiring about an apparent
lack of power on our 3JH2E.  This was resulting in the engine, when in forward,
not getting up above 2,800 rpm when I used to be able to get up to 3,200.

Lots has been happening since then, as we figured out:
A).  We had a transmission problem (bearings spinning, trans slipping, etc.)
that required a rebuilt transmission.
B).  I realized that my rather robust job of re-insulating the engine
compartment might be causing the engine to starve for air.
C).  I removed a Panda generator in the port aft locker that was entirely
seized.  That included removing and covering a very large air vent measuring
11' x 7" in the side of the locker, meaning that if we were really pooped by a
large wave, the boat could ingest a big volume of water while the cockpit
drained.  I subsequently heard you folks talk about engine blowers, which my
boat never had, and I overlooked.  Had my boat included a blower, I would have
known not to entirely cover the vent.D).  The "intake silencer" noted in my
Yanmar 3JH2E manual and which looked mostly like a metal mesh/stainless cone
with holes from the inside is actually removable and has foam that is now
clean.  I got a reasonable amount of crud out of it, but I don't want to say it
was fully clogged.

As we got this done, coincidentally the diver came by and cleaned the hull.
Here in the warm, shallow Tampa Bay area, we tend to grow stuff pretty quickly
in summer and fall, so the timing was perfect.  Once we got all this done we
went out and motored and, with one of the engine side panels removed to ensure
good airflow (I've not yet addressed the vent where the generator was as of
yet), the engine will now go to 3,000 rpm in gear, but still not to 3,200.  It
revs to 3,600 WOT at the dock in neutral.  Fuel filters are good, I don't think
I have any air leaking into the lines. I'll seriously look for black smoke
under hard acceleration thought I have not noticed it in the past.

I want to start by eliminating the easy stuff.  like improving airflow.  I
tried to price out the filter with Yanmar, but they only sell the complete
silencer, metal casing and all for $132.  Sigh.

I can get green 65 PPI foam online, but there's always the quality issue with
Amazon.

I can't seem to find an aftermarket K&N or other high performance filter (which
I would prefer instead of relying on foam).
Once I'm 100% sure the airflow is not restricted, I'll make sure the injectors
are really clean, then move to timing & injector testing. etc. as per your
previous recommendations.

What would you do about replacing the foam/filter?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce Whitmore

Bruce Whitmore
(847) 404-5092 (mobile)