Racing....I don't do it anymore.   But when I raced, I raced mostly with a core of 5 good friends, one my brother.

I learned a lot over many years, on different boats, doing different jobs, full crew and short crew days, in all kinds of conditions. Over the years racing, I have spent some time on the foredeck... no one else wanted do it.   Some days I thought that was a good thing, some days it was not so great....a sail change down in a heavy building breeze bouncing around up front in the spray...yea, this is fun.

Now doing a spinnaker peel right felt really good.....especially in the middle of the fleet where everyone gets to see it done, and done smoothly.  Head sails changes are done regularly but changing a spinnaker under sail could only be done smoothly if you had practiced it.  We had some good races and we had some bad races. And we spent time practicing.    We practiced to the point where, for example, where I could put my hand on a halyard and the pit man knew exactly what halyard and what to do with it without me shouting me back a command.

After a race, the beers were open for the passage home.  After the boat was docked. sails packed, etc. the first half hour was spent talking about the race....what did we do wrong, what went right. After that we normally got juvenile.

In 1995, I wanted something different from racing....bought a Kirby 25 that we raced against as our main boat for boat competitor, the J24 fleet with 4 of the 5 original amigos....me and 3 of the amigos left my friend's C&C 34R to race the K25.......racing is totally different when you are on the helm and not on the foredeck when you get to a mark and there are 15 other boats there compared to normal handicap racing where twenty minutes after the start the fleet spreads out.

No matter how you choose to race, it helps a lot if the crew can size up the competition, decide where they expect to place in their respective fleet....bottom 3rd, middle 3rd, or top 3rd.  If you can get the crew to talk about this and agree, saves a lot of different expectations among crew.

Racing is 50% boat, 50% crew and 50% luck on any given day.  I have had the good fortune to have benefited from all three, and in a few races, all three!

Robert Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 #277
Halifax, N.S.