To try to answer that question I'll supply this quote and a link to its
source (John Hopkins University):

Carolyn Machamer, a cell biologist who specializes in coronaviruses,
discusses the latest research on the virus that causes COVID-19

By Samuel Volkin / Published March 20

According to a recent study published in the New England Journal of
Medicine, SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can live in the air
and on surfaces between several hours and several days. The study found
that the virus is viable for up to 72 hours on plastics, 48 hours on
stainless steel, 24 hours on cardboard, and 4 hours on copper. It is also
detectable in the air for three hours.

Carolyn Machamer, a professor of cell biology whose lab at the Johns
Hopkins School of Medicine has studied the basic biology of coronaviruses
for years, joined Johns Hopkins MPH/MBA candidate Samuel Volkin for a brief
discussion of these findings and what they mean for efforts to protect
against spread of the virus. The conversation has been edited for length
and clarity.

*Volkin: According to this report, it sounds like the COVID-19 virus is
potentially living on surfaces for days. How worried should we be about our
risk of becoming infected simply by touching something an infected person
was in contact with days ago?*

*Machamer:* What's getting a lot of press and is presented out of context
is that the virus can last on plastic for 72 hours—which sounds really
scary. But what's more important is the amount of the virus that remains.
It's less than 0.1% of the starting virus material. Infection is
theoretically possible but unlikely at the levels remaining after a few
days. People need to know this.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/20/sars-cov-2-survive-on-surfaces/

Ken H.