I had a constant problem with a companionway hatch leaking.   Over the years, I
would track down, fix, and find new leaks.  The leak varied on rate or duration
of rain, or wind directions and strength.    Inspired by Dennis' canvas
companionway hatch cover on Touche, I made my own and have not had a
companionway leak since.  It was a good little learning project which has
turned into a huge success.

Here is the link to my blog page:
https://svjohannarose.blogspot.com/2019/01/fabricating-companionway-canvas-cover.html

-