Regardless of the controller you use, I would recommend the Raymarine
Electric Drive Unit (Type 2?).  The benefit of an electric drive unit is it
doesn't have the drag on the wheel/tiller when in standby mode.  The
hydraulic units I've used make it hard to feel the boat when hand steering.

Gary
S/V Kaylarah
'90 C&C 37+
East Greenwich, RI, USA