There are two types of Landfall 38s.  Those who have had the aluminum fuel tank
replaced, and those who need the aluminum fuel tank replaced.   The original
fuel tanks were set in polyurethane foam, which is the reason they rusted out
quickly (Not a good idea on C&C part).

I was fortunate in that a previous owner replaced the fuel tank and in doing so
encased the new tank in fiberglass.   But when I went through my refit, I
removed, emptied, cleaned, and thoroughly inspected the inside.    You only
need to cut a V-notch out of the center of the retaining stringer to get the
tank out. It will be a tight squeeze, and you will need to remove many thing:
radial drive, steering idlers(which may look good until you pull them),
alternator, …     I added a G10 L-bracket to sure-up the stringer, similar to
added bracket on Stella Blue.  I was also inspired to Wally to improve the
limber holes.

Wally site was a great resource.  It is no longer online, but I have a copy and
can send you pdfs of the tank work if you want.

Paul

-
Paul E.
1981 C&C Landfall 38