If draft is an issue (or might be a future issue depending on your plans for
cruising, etc.) I would consider the cb model.
I have a 36 XL/kcb (your 40 ft C&C is actually a kcb since the cb retracts into
a serious keel, unlike some cb boats that have boards only or very small keels)
since I sail in the skinny NC sounds where a 5 ft draft is often the rule in
marinas, not the exception.
I Replace the pennant every 5 or so years and otherwise forgetaboutit!.Upwind,
board down, it will point with or better than any others and downwind, board
up, it will get up and go! OTOH, it likely has a weighted board which probably
weighs over 1000 lbs. Unless you are racing, grinding the board up is not an
easy job—I use a Lewmar 30 with 3:1 purchase AND my strongest crew to bring her
up. Of course, as some have noted, it is a simple matter to pin it up permantly.
Of course the kcb won’t be as fast as a deep keel of the same model (lots more
wetted surface than a fin) but there probably isn’t any harbor in NH/ME that
you could not get into, even at low tide, with the board up. Welcome to the
list!
Charlie Nelson1995 C&C 36 XL/kcbWater Phantom

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
 On Monday, July 20, 2020, Jeffrey Brideau via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>