I had a periodic problem with water coming in the bilge pump under certain
conditions.  It seems that when the bilge pump outlet was under water, usually
when motoring, water could flow under pressure through the bilge pump.  This
seemed not to be a siphon, but a water pressure situation since it stopped when
the boat slowed down (making it difficult to diagnose, of course).  I installed
a check valve in the bilge pump line and the problem stopped for several years.
 It happened again last weekend while motor sailing in swells, so I am planning
to replace the check valve.  I vaguely remember someone suggesting a particular
brand of check valve as working particularaly well, but I can’t find the post.
Reviews I have seen on various sites have complaints about all of them, so hard
to choose. I think I have the Whale no-return valve now.   Anyone have a brand
suggestion?  Thanks- Dave

David Knecht
S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+