Evening Guys,

New member here. I just bought a C&C 25 MK1 from an owner who frequented
this mailing list, who told me about this forum. What a great resource! I
searched the archives however and could not find the answer to the
questions I'm about to ask. Here goes.

My transom hung rudder has a serious blister problem not helped by an old
leaky lower gudgeon. This leak was patched by the previous owner with Gflex
however the rudder was not opened for inspection or dried out.

I'm away from the boat for the next week and I'd like to get ahead by
ordering what I need now to fix the rudder when I get back to the boat. I
haven't been able to find any diagrams or pictures of the rudder
construction on the 25 MK1. I've read that there is a piece of plywood
somewhere in the core and other posts that lead me to believe that below
the waterline portion is hollow, and that some have drain holes and some
don't. Does anyone have better information on the construction of this
rudder?

I want to know because if I can safely rebuild the rudder out of some
polyurethane foam I will. I've had experience with this in the past
repairing another rudder damaged by grounding and it turned out extremely
strong and more rot resistant. But this was for a boat with a foam filled
rudder originally, so I don't know if the skeletal structure of the rudder
on the 25's would support this.

Anyone have suggestions on what route to take? It'd be great if someone
having done this could go over what route they took. Or if foam is at all
advisable. I also don't want to upset the balance of the boat if the
original rudder structure with that hollow was an integral part of it.

And I know that I could order a new rudder from South Shore Yachts, but I'm
guessing that's expensive. And ofcourse way less fun.

Many Thanks,

Ian Tubby
1976 C&C 25 Mk1 "Icicle"
St. Petersburg, FL