Here’s what Mars looks like from earth :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11OiRwy8a-BgRcw70xwHZ1lOHzgXYgZDf/view?usp=drivesdk

John Conklin
S/V Halcyon
S/V Heartbeat
www.flirtingwithfire.com

On Aug 19, 2020, at 9:37 PM, Rick Brass via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
wrote:

5'6" IS a pretty good rule of thumb limit for Eastern North Carolina. 8 or 10
feet of depth is much more common here than 15 or 20. Over the years I've
probably bumped on every high spot, but only once was I not able to get myself
off.

The original 6'1" draft on Imzadi wasn't going to cut it here, or in the
Bahamas, so after talking to Mars Metals I took a Sawzall to the keel and cut
it off at 5'3". Mars had me weigh the lead removed and sent me a torpedo bulb
that looked sort of like a really thick wing (maybe 3 times as wide as it is
tall) designed to maintain the stability of the boat. IIRC, took off 800 lbs.
and the bulb added back 1150.

With all the accumulated cruising crap, cabinets added, the wine rack, etc. she
started out for 5'3 but ended up 5'6. I suppose it is the endplate effect of
the shape of the bulb, but she still goes to weather like a witch - 29 degrees
apparent in decent wind.

Thinking back I get a bit nostalgic... back in the day (2003) the keel mod cost
me $3900, bulb, freight, and installation included. Ah for the good old days.

Rick Brass
Imzadi  C&C 38 mk2 #47
la Belle Aurore  C&C 25 mk1 #225
Washington, NC