Locally we have had some success getting 'cruisers' out by running distance
races with pursuit starts (based on PHRFs) just prior to (or after) our regular
spin and non-spin fleet racing starts. This has increased the number of boats
racing by about 50%.

All kinds of cruisers come out with anchors and dinghies hanging from bow
rollers, davits, on-deck, etc. often crewed by a couple or less--these are
often 40' + boats!
We do expect them to start at a certain time (based on course length and their
PHRF--either an official certificate or an assigned number by the RC). I think
this is useful if only to get them to pay attention to the RC and a starting
time so they have some idea of what a 'real' start is like.
Also, except for becoming crew on 'real racing' boats, I don't think a single
one of our local 'cruisers' has become or moved up to real racing--they just
aren't into it for various reasons including turning their cruiser into a racer
by removing all the cruising gear, getting the bottom in shape, keeping their
sails in good shape, etc. But they do like to come out as is and duke it out
with other cruisers.
Thus this fleet has increased the number of boats racing but as for adding
boats to the spin or non-spin fleet--not so much! IMHO, this has to come from
getting younger folks involved, local college sailing clubs, etc.
Another local club has sponsored yearly Crew Clinics for newbies to sailing and
this has led to often brought novices on board racing boats. The Crew Clinics
are held on a Saturday, are well advertised in nearby cities (both word of
mouth and various clubs and social media) and involve a brief review of sailing
principles on shore followed by a day on the water on a boat of a club member
(with the member on board his boat and perhaps an experienced sailor as crew).
Afterwards, there is a social at a local pub or clubhouse. Attendees are
encouraged to sign up on a club crew list and they are then contacted by
skippers via email to see if they want to become crew. This brings in a couple
of newbies and then some of the newbies bring friends, etc.
Charlie NelsonWater Phantom