At the risk of providing TMI, my perspective on racing has evolved over time.
I started racing on my Dad’s Cal 33 when I was a kid. We were dedicated racers
(and won a lot), which meant at least a full day every weekend (usually
Sundays) late spring, summer, and early fall.  My Mom was not a sailor and
stayed home to care for my younger siblings while my Dad, older brother, and I
were out sailing.  Over time it resulted in marital discord — I think serious
golfers run into the same issue.  I decided to not do that to my wife (and
marriage), so I stopped racing when we started having kids.  You definitely
lose your edge if you’re not out there all the time.  These days I do the
Wednesday FJAM races for kicks, and a few point-to-point distance races
annually.  It is difficult to put a crew together for spin racing, and we’re
all getting too old to run the pointy end.  In addition, the Erie fleet now
stays mostly in the bay, and my boat was designed to go play in the big waves
out in the Lake.  If I were serious about local club racing, I’d get a J 35 or
something comparable.  The 42 is too much boat for short, calm water course
racing.  To keep a  crew, you need to race regularly.

Sent from my iPhone