Hi Dave, I too would like to see some pictures of your windlass installation. I
have a 37 as well and am considering putting one in. Thanks.

From: John Conklin via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: March 16, 2021 9:42 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: John Conklin <jconk...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: windlass battery under vee-berth

Hi Dave

I would like the pics on the windless

I have sister ship  and want to. Cruise more and back is shot so i have green
light to get one :)

John Conklin

S/V Halcyon

www.flirtingwithfire.net <http://www.flirtingwithfire.net>

On Mar 15, 2021, at 9:13 PM, Dave Godwin via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com
<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com> > wrote:

Pete,

Since I’m not on the criteria list of having mounted a battery for the windless
in the bow/v-berth area  on our 1982 37’ I thought I’d weigh in anyway.
Apologies in advance but I have to agree with Josh.

I mounted a Lewmar windlass on a shelf in the anchor locker. I thought quite a
bit about doing what you are thinking about. And discarded the idea pretty
quickly.

I didn’t want to add any more weight to dragging down the fine entry of our
boats. Anchor chain was enough. I didn’t want to add another battery to the
existing system. I’ve already done enough fabrication on the boat so wanted to
avoid that too. I didn’t want to think about charging the battery that far
forward either.

I settled on just running large cable from the house bank in the port locker to
the windless along the port hull to the anchor locker with waterproof glands
through the bulkhead. The breaker switch is located to port (next to existing
battery switch location) at the base of the companionway steps. The solenoid
for the control switches are mounted up under deck, to port in the anchor
locker.

Just my $0.02.

Pictures of installation available upon request.

Best regards,

Dave Godwin

1982 C&C 37 - Ronin

1998 Mast & Mallet Thomas Point 34 - Katana

P.S. Our powerboat deals with powering the windless in the same fashion.

On Mar 15, 2021, at 7:13 PM, Peter McMinn via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com