I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a "coal tar bottom paint".
Never heard of it.

Sent from my Android. Please forgive typos. Thank you.

________________________________
From: Bill Coleman via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 4, 2021 2:23:58 PM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Bill Coleman <colt...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: Coal tar bottom paint removal?

A friend of mine was working on a sewage treatment project once. He had to
repaint some steel tanks that were coated with coal tar. He said he tried in
vain to sandblast it, but it wouldn't touch it. So I said, why are you even
trying to remove it if it's on there that good? It doesn't seem like you could
do any better than that. But apparently that's what they wanted for some reason

Bill

On Sun, Apr 4, 2021, 1:25 PM Dave S via CnC-List
Funny stuff - clogs sanding/grinding discs then burns.... which kinda works.
 acetone does dissolve it but it’s not a practical approach.   The stuff is
cracking and appears to be drying on the surface, though is rubbery when
removing.   - have been painting anti fouling over it but I expect I’ll need to
renew before long.

Any suggestions as to how to remove?

Thanks, Dave

Sent from my iPhone
send contribution --
https://www.paypal.me/stumurray<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.me%2Fstumurray&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cf7caf95c1afb453658e708d8f796dc27%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637531574595409443%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=cPZh2o5t%2BeukVoeGDxNMmB7MWas5OeC1SxYk9i87iSY%3D&reserved=0>
  Thanks - Stu