From: Charlie Nelson via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2021 10:39 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: cenel...@aol.com
Subject: Stus-List Standing rigging replacement

Hey everyone--especially those on this list whose boats are approaching 'old
age!'

My 1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb is now 26 years old and has been in brackish water for
her entire life--which has been either at the dock or club racing in the NC
sounds where the air is mostly light and the heat is often oppressive. I am
faced with a decision on what, if anything, to do about her standing rigging,
which is all original rod except for the forestay which was replaced with wire
when I snapped the rod during a racing adventure--the headsail was furled at
the time so the rig did not come down!

A local, seemingly knowledgeable rigger, has recommend that all the standing
rigging be replaced after he did a rig inspection a few weeks ago. (He aborted
an attempt at tuning the rig when he realized that the threads on one of the
turn-buckles were disintegrating during his adjustments.) The cost to replace
with rod per his estimate is ~ $7500 plus some yard fees to un-step and re-step
the mast so I am looking at about $8k for the job, without replacing some mast
hardware (Tides track, steaming light, radio cable and antenna, etc.) while the
mast is down.

I realize that after 26 years, the rigging might need attention, that is why I
had him do the inspection. OTOH, I also understand that it is in his own
self-interest to replace the rig. The rod will be done in Rhode Island but he
will be doing all the other stuff. The old joke '...if the only tool you have
is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail..' comes to mind. I am also a firm
believer in the saying '....tools not rules...' so I am reluctant to just
replace something because of a 'recommendation' based on what often is more
tradition than fact.

Since many on the list have boats even older than mine, I am curious what the
list has to say about rod rigging replacement versus age, intended use and
cruising/racing waters involved. Of course I'd prefer the rig not come down
around my ears, even in the NC sounds, but I have no plans to take her
off-shore, except for possible short hops to deliver her to racing venues
(CRW). OTOH, the boat bucks involved are probably about 20% of the boat's
current value which I will unlikely recover when I sell her, new rigging or not.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie Nelson
Water Phantom
1995 C&C 36 XL/kcb