Which is more or less what I paid for a group31 LiFePo battery...  When I
really shopped it (industrial sources) I was pleasantly surprised at the
price.

Whether it's of benefit really depends on your use as Randy stated.   When
I first bought windstar I only daysailed and plugged in every night.   The
stock system was so adequate for that that I didn't even notice a dead
alternator for an entire season.  I did finally replace it even though the
cost clearly wasn't justified.  ;-)

My more recent scope was to have multiple consecutive days off the grid so
I needed to do *something*.  (all well documented along with the arithmetic
on the blog)

I too thought that LiFePo was cost prohibitive for less than 5 year time
horizon, however the lower than expected first cost and utterly carefree
electrical system have made them a slam dunk. From memory, vs AGM the cost
difference might have been C$400 max.  as I worked my way though the
project, I had an epiphany as I climbed a ladder with two group 31s in one
hand, and had further epiphanies when I managed to fit ALL my new batteries
and battery management hardware in a much smaller footprint than
previously, while simultaneously doubling my usable house bank capacity.  I
was also surprised at how quickly they charge.  After one season with
solar/lithium I have enough confidence in the system that when I renew my
marina contract next year, I will decline the need for shore power and will
save C$400/season as a bonus.
To be clear, my enthusiasm is as much about a successful solar install as
the LiFePo batteries themselves.

Dave