Thanks for all the input.
I spent all day yesterday on the problem with two trips to Defender for parts.
I realized that I had detached the ground wire when I unbolted the fuel pump
and when I reattached the ground, it started clicking away.  I then hooked up a
new fuel line from the tank pickup to the fuel pump bypassing the filter etc
and ran the outflow into a container.  It ran fine and rapidly pumped fuel.  At
first, the sound was off, but once it had fuel, the sound was normal.  So I
think the pump is fine and the odd sound I heard when the problem started was
the fact that it was pulling air instead of diesel since the bowl was not
filling.  That result makes the lines between the fuel tank and the pump
suspect, which is what everyone was saying was the likeliest possibility.
I replaced the fuel filters first (trip to hardware store for filter wrench as
I could not get it off by hand).  I got some more fuel line (first trip to
Defender) and tried to install it and found that the nipple on the fuel tank
was 3/8” and someone had somehow gotten ¼” ID tubing onto it.  All the other
fittings are ¼” as was the tubing.  I could not duplicate that feat, so went
back to Defender and replaced the nipple with a ¼” version.  It was really hard
to get the new tubing onto the nipples and I spent the rest of the rainy
afternoon trying to replace various segments of the tubing.  I thought it best
to replace all while I as doing the job.  That turns out to be a lot of nipples
in a lot of difficult to access places.
So my real problem now is how to get the tubing onto those nipples as they are
are generally not a gradually increasing gradient of sized rings, but two
bulges of equal diameter separated by a straight portion.
1.  The nipple I put on the fuel tank is a gradually increasing sized as
opposed to the other type.  Is that a bad idea? I am not sure of the logic of
using one type vs. the other.  I can see that the gradual type might allow the
tube to gradually work its way off, but I don’t know if that is possible with a
hose clamp in place.
2.  How to get the tubing onto these nipples.  I struggled with this and mostly
failed.  After I gave up, I ran into a friend at my club who suggested putting
soap on the nipple and sticking the end in hot water for a few minutes before
trying to install.  I think I can get to most places with a mug on hot water so
this seems like a good idea, if it works.   I could bring the boat to the dock
and use a heat gun (no 110V on boat), but it seems hot water will more
uniformly heat the tubing, especially inside which is hard to get to with a
heat gun.  Any other hints?
Thanks- Dave

David Knecht
Rear Commodore