I got a “classic boat” policy for my 83 Landfall 35 through Hagerty which is
underwritten through Essentia Insurance.  This last year they automatically
increased the loss replacement value due to market changes, but the premium
increase was nominal (about 2%).  They do have  5 year survey requirement that
includes a mast down rig inspection.  My surveyor is a former C&C owner and
differentiates an insurance survey from a purchase survey which has kept costs
at a reasonable level.  My insurance agent is a very accomplished sailor and I
have no doubt he’d go to bat for me in the event of a serious claim.  Perhaps
I’m paying a slight amount more by using an agency who gets a commission but
I’ve seen my agent out at the waterfront at 7am after a named storm passed
through, helping secure boats and assessing damage and arranging towing.  Worth
every cent in my opinion.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 Landfall 35