speed and depth with a NMEA 2000 chartplotter (Raymarine ES series) and
eventually also add wind instruments and digital radar but not sure if I need
to upgrade the transducers.Chuck GilchrestHalf Magic83 Landfall 35 From: Peter
W. via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021
5:47 PMTo: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>Cc: Peter W.
<typhoonpe...@gmail.com>Subject: Stus-List Re: wind instrument FWIW, earlier
this season, I replaced my TackTick wireless wind instrument with Raymarine's
latest offering.  You may recall Raymarine acquired TackTick some years ago.
Except for the branding, The replacement is identical to the original, which
worked well for 13 seasons.  In fact, the original unit still works fine for
wind SPEED, but it is unreliable for DIRECTION.  Probably, I could have
returned it for testing and possible repair, but I didn't want to deal with the
cost of retrieval, downtime, and re-install [which assumes the unit could be
repaired].  I like the unit.  I don't like it when I can't get through to
Raymarine.  Since my old Datamarine knotmeter is finally giving it up, I
purchased a suite of instruments - wind instrument + Tridata display, with
wireless cap.  could this work for you? Pete W. Siren Song'91 C&C
30-2Irvington, Va.  On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 2:00 PM Marek Dziedzic via CnC-List
<cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:Hi, I am starting to think about adding the wind
instrument to the boat. The main reason is for being able to feed the data
(wind direction) to the EV-100 autopilot. I have a SeatalkNG network on the
boat. I don’t have a Raymarine MFC, though (I have a small Garmin chartplotter,
instead). I am a minimalist (you could say “cheap”), so e.g., I don’t have a
Navpod on the binnacle; rather I have two individual RAM mount pods (for the
chartplotter and one for the p70s (the autopilot control head). I unstep the
mast for every winter, so I am biased towards a wireless unit. I have a few
questions: - Any recommendations for the wind instrument (Raymarine, Garmin,
B&G)? My first choice would be a unit that talks NMEA 2000 (SeatalkNG) (as
opposed to an analog unit that requires an extra device (iTC-5?) to connect.
But this is mainly to control the costs. - With limited space at the helm, what
is the minimum requirement to feed the wind data to the EV-100 autopilot? I
don’t think I need the detailed wind angle displayed, as long as the AP can
follow. Though I could put the wind display somewhere else (on the bulkhead?).
But if that display is not required AND I could save the cost by not including
it, I might be fine with that. - Any strong recommendations against the
wireless? - Any other suggestions or recommendations? Thanks Marek 1994 C270
”Legato”Ottawa, ON  Thanks to all of the subscribers that contributed to the
list to help with the costs involved.  If you want to show your support to the
list - use PayPal to send contribution --   https://www.paypal.me/stumurray
Thanks - Stu