Hi Josh- I was looking at new Racor filter units and this was the information
Defender provides.  That sounds like the reverse of your recommendation?

Turbine Series filter assemblies are designed to be installed on the vacuum
side of the fuel transfer pump for best efficiency and protect precision engine
components from dirt, rust, algae, asphaltines, varnishes, and especially
water, which is prevalent in engine fuels.

Racor’s system diagram is the same: fuel tank, Racor, Lift pump, secondary
filter, engine

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT