Bob

Your getting good answers, however you did not tell us your boat model our type of spinnaker you have (Symmetrical or Asymmetrical). Both will make a difference.  Ed advice of not sailing to the laylines but keeping to middle is best for the reasons he stated. Especially if your C&C was an IOR design built before 1980 and sail deep downwind.  Later boats will sail closer to reach angles for best VMG downwind.  Asyms can not be sailed deep downwind and are sailed closer to a reach.

Don Kern
/Fireball,/ C&C35 MK2
Bristol, RI