Glen,

There are a few, reasonably local, reps for Doyle and North Sails. I think one
is in Barrie, the other somewhere in GTA. So, if you prefer working with them
and having the measurement taken by them, just send them a request (their
websites work well).

However, be prepared that the “big guys” tend to be substantially more
expensive.

I had a very good experience with a couple sail loft where I ordered sails
online/by phone.

One is the Somerset Sails (https://somersetsails.com/). I ordered a full set
(main and jib) in 2013. I talked at length to Martin, and he suggested a few
changes to what I originally planned. The sails worked well. I still use the
main, and just replaced the jib – the sacrificial UV cover started to wear out
and the cost of replacing that was comparable to a new sail.

The other is the Far East sails. I have just replaced the jib (see above).

Both of them offer very competitive prices. I went with Far East this time,
because Martin responded after a month’s delay (as it happened, he was away)
and by that time I decided to use Far East.

The only issue with ordering like that is that you have to make your own
measurements. This means that if you make mistakes, you are responsible. The
short advice is to measure twice and be sure that you take the correct
measurements (e.g., from-to the correct points on the boat). Don’t assume that
the “standard measurements” are correct. This is very important regarding the
jib measurements, as you need to consider the furler (how high above the deck
the tack is, and how much below the mast top the top swivel is).

As much as I would like to see the sail loft’s rep on my boat, it is hardly an
option here in Ottawa. So, the mail order is the only reasonable option.

Good luck with your search

Marek

1994 C270 Legato
Ottawa ON