I think if the belt is 3/8", you could fashion the tool from a turnbuckle with
1/4" or 3/8" eyes and grind the eyes so you're left with a Y on each end vee'd
to match the belt, to properly fit the pulley grooves.  An aluminum turnbuckle
from any hardware store could be used.

Chuck S

Thanks for your help.
Stu