This is a long one.  Buckle up.

On my 37+, it came with 2 4Ds in the stbd settee forward of the sink.  They
were dead at purchase.    To install and replace I had to remove the entire
settee...which included removing the table.  That area had been glassed in such
that it made a water tight catchment so in the event of spilled acid it would
be contained during all points of heel save for a full knockdown or roll.

Upon purchase I replaced the 4Ds with 3 group 27 - on the House #1 switch and 2
group 29s on house #2.  They were the only available marine deep cycle
batteries I could source on short notice in Brooklyn NY.  I flattened copper
pipe to create a bus bar witch bolted the 3 house #1 batteries in parallel.
The boat also came with a Xantrex TrueCharge 40 which had evidently failed and
lead to the demise of the 4Ds over winter.  I replaced the original Xantrex
with a larger Xantrex TrueCharge 60.  It had 2 charging channels which was
convienient for charging the 2 house banks.  The NEW 60 amp charger didn't make
it past the 350 mile delivery trip before failing as well.  I promptly returned
under warranty and replaced with a ProMariner ProNautic P1260.  I've been very
satisfied with it.  My only complaint is that the remote display does not allow
control, only observation.  Generally this fine but in order to initiate an
equalize charge you need to access the charger directly.

I successfully mounted to charger to the back of the nav station drawers.  The
location works great accept for the formerly mentioned need to access for
equalization.  It has 3 channels of which I only use 2 but leaves room for an
additional start battery.  In 12 years of service this charger has never left
me down in any way.

In 2016 the NEW deep cycle marine batteries I'd originally sourced from Auto
Zone began to fail.  I finally had time and money to properly source batteries.
 I modified the previously glassed battery box under the settee to fit four 6v
golf cart batteries.  I got Trojan T105-RE.  The RE is specifically designed
for solar/wind generation storage systems.  Each one has about 225Ahrs so a
bank of 4 arranged (series/parallel) to produce 12v results in 450 Ahrs of
storage.  I bought the watering system to go with it so as to monitor water
level and simplify watering when needed.  I wanted batteries with flush bolt
down terminals but ended up with an upright bolt terminals.  This ended up
requiring a 1x2 wood shim around the perimeter of the settee bench to add the
required height to accommodate the terminals and bus bars.

I've later added 200w of flexible solar and two 8amp  Genesun MPPT controllers.
 I typically get ~70 Ahrs per day of charge.

More information available upon request.

Recall that the max charging rate of a standard lead acid battery is 25% of C.
C being the AHr capacity of the battery or bank in question.  So my 450AHr bank
should be limited to 110 AHrs max charge capacity.  60amps is well within that
limit.
In your case, if you stuck with the 2 group 27s then you'd be at about 200AHrs
so a 50amp charger would be your max.

Its easy to think that you have no need to charge at 50amps but consider the
following.  Discharging your battery(bank) below 50% should be avoided to
ensure maximum life span - So 100 AHrs.  The max charge rate only applies until
the 80% when the absorption phase begins and the rate tapers off
logarithmically from 80% to100%.  With a 20 amp charger you'll be at max rate
for 3 hours (60AHrs) and then a tapering rate for roughly the next 3 to 4
hours.  If your cruising needs are met by the 100AHr limit and 7 hour charge
time then stay with what you have.  If not then you'll want to step it up.  On
our boat we can charge rapidly enough (with the upgraded alternator - 90 Amps -
and the 30 to 60 minutes of motoring on and off the hook morning and night) to
be limited in our range not by the electrical supply but rather the fresh water
supply.  I can usually stretch the tanks 4 to 5 days with showers for 2 adults
each day.

As others have said, you need to consider what type of sailing/cruising you
plan to do.  If the setup you have has been filling the need adequately then I
would be hesitant to deviate too much.  In that case, my simplest and cheapest
advice is to replace the charger with a ProMariner pNautic 1220.  Sterling
makes an exact match.  Feel free to price check between the two.

ProMariner 63120 ProNauticP Series 1220P - 12 Volt, 20 Amp Battery Charger
https://a.co/d/amg8SKZ

Sterling Power ProCharge Ultra On-Board 3-Bank All-Digital Marine Battery
Charger - 90-270 Volt AC Input for Worldwide Usage - 4-Stage Charging to
Protect Your Boat or RV Battery - 5 Year Warranty https://a.co/d/15sgdKj

All the best,

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk