Hadn’t thought of it before but even with a diesel this is a good reason to
stick with a stock mechanical fuel pump if so equipped.   I’ve mused about
‘improving’ my yanmar 2GMF20 but in stock form it has been very reliable.  Its
fuel pump lived a long life and started seeping as a warning.  (I ignored that
for too long  but that’s another story) it was dead simple to replace, bleed
and get rolling again.   Sometimes less is more.

Dave 33-2 Windstar (for sale)
Alubat OVNI 435 (for sail)
Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 29, 2023, at 10:13 AM, Joe Della Barba via CnC-List
> <cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:
>

> On a gasoline powered engine the oil pressure switch is a vital safety
> device, if you don’t have it and the engine stalls or you just leave the key
> on, a leaky float valve will have your entire fuel tank pumped into the
> bilge. I suspect it carried over in some ABYC reg into diesels.
> I have solved a couple frustrating issues on my boat with a fuel pressure
> gauge. I would think about installing a pressure gauge on the output side of
> the lift/low pressure pump on any engine, gas or diesel. Mine is electric and
> is mounted in the cockpit, it lights up a red alarm light when the fuel
> pressure is below 1 PSI.
>

> Joe Della Barba
> Coquina C&C 35 MK I
> Kent Island MD USA