From: Sylvain Laplante via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2023 7:07 PM
To: Paul Hood <paul.h...@rogers.com>
Cc: cnc-list@cnc-list.com; Sylvain Laplante <sylvain_lapla...@yahoo.ca>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Stus-List Re: Atomic 4 reversing - help, help

Hi,
  If you use automotive oil ( anything newer than API  SH ) there are too many
additives in order to save friction, htis is bad for a wet clutch ( in
motorcycles since the plates run in oil bath ) and also on the reverse band on
the Atomic transmission. Recommended oil is either motorcycle oil or straight
30 oil.

If you need a more granular adjustment for the transmission Moyer sells a
modified adjusting collar.
https://moyermarine.com/product/improved-forward-adjusting-collar-orev_05_306/

Sylvain

On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 02:32:26 PM EDT, Paul Hood via CnC-List

Hey all Atomic 4 owners, I have a problem with my reversing gear adjustment.  I
have just dropped in the engine after oil pump work and reinstalled.

The reverse was never great, and I attributed that to the feathering prop but
it is now slightly worse and I’m force to adjust.  I adjusted the reversing
gear band with approximately 20 adjustments over the last 2 days to achieve
what I have now, which is the best possible adjustment I could find, and it is
still not great, nor usable.

If you’re familiar with the adjusting nut, the nut has 6 sides.  Each
adjustment of the nut moves to the next flat so the spring can land flat on the
nut, holding it in place from further turning.  Each turn is 1/6 of a 360
degress or 60 degree each ( 16.6% of a full turn).  This is the flat spot for
each minimum sustainable adjustment.

For me, the best adjustment is in-between these flat spots. It has the spring
holding the adjusting nut, not flat on a side, but just offset of the nut
knuckle (just over half way between the 2 flats, about 6% and 10% turn
respectively off the last flat).  Its not a sustainable position and will
likely and easily fall off to the nearest flat side in time.  At this position,
the best it provides is a good forward, the absolute smallest of smallest
neutral window and the reverse is still almost non-existing.  The reverse spins
slightly but not fast and doesn’t increase much when revving the engine.
There is definitely no whine in the reverse as you should hear when fulling
engaged.  If you have an atomic 4 you all know what I mean.

If I tighten the adjusting nut to the nearest flat side of the nut, the clamp
band tightens too much and the neutral window is gone, the reverse is strong
but it is over-riding the forward and although I have good reverse and a whine
with good motion, forward shifting does results in a stall as the reverse and
forward override each other.  Moving the adjustment nut to the nearest loosen
flat, enlarged the neutral window but eliminates the reverse movement entirely.

I spoke with Ken at Moyer today and he suggested to remove the shaft/prop from
the equation by temporarily disconnecting it as it is not likely, but might be
a possible a cause to the problem.  If that is not the problem, he has no
solution except to say, there is a piece to the puzzle missing.  There is a pad
under the band that is like a brake drum pad but in the 50 years doing this,
they have never seen one wear, a couple pads crack but they still worked fine.
He said they could sell me a new reversing gear but won’t do that as he
suggests there is nothing wrong with my reversing gear….just a piece to the
puzzle missing.

I have not clue how to fix this and not sure what to do next.  Any suggestions
from anyone….or do you have a contact that might be able to assist.

Paul Hood

REFUGE – 1981 C&C34 on Georgian Bay /)

Thanks for your help.
Stu