Doug,

What you hear is most likely a vacuum break.  Yes, it is supposed to stop water
from syphoning into the engine.  However, another way for water to naturally
flood in after shutdown is by having the stern wave catch up to the transom and
rush into the exhaust hose.  The vacuum break doesn't prevent that.

You could buy or borrow a coolant system pressure checker.  They attach in
place of the radiator cap and you pump it up by hand.  Usually about 15 psi.
You can observed how quickly the pressure bleeds off to help determined the
location severity.

Josh

Thanks for your help.
Stu