Hi,

Sometime ago.. someone started work to overhaul the unit/integration tests,
i suppose this work never got finished.
Frankly i'm not all that familiar with the current tests and to be honest
my time atm is too limited to dive into that subject...

Too "answer" your questions:
1) Merging both test directories seems wise.
2) I don't think there's any real benefit; your reasoning makes sense
3) I suppose this test server is hosted by James. I agree that it should be
available to all developers or the test should be changed.
4) Return-codes are an issue with the CLI, so yes output parsing should
probably be added
5) Yes

So, If you have an interest in improving Cobblers quality and are willing
to step up and improve the test framework i'm all for that.
I'm willing to merge any improvements!

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Alan Evangelista <ala...@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> wrote:

> 1) Why there are 2 different tests directories (tests and newtests)? Are
> there XML-RPC tests in "tests" directory which are not covered in XML-RPC
> tests in "newtests" directory?
> I'd like to merge those.
>
> 2) What's the benefit in numbering tests? It seems to me it only
> introduces overhead of renaming tests when one is deleted (if we want to
> avoid numbering gaps).
>
> 3) CLI import tests access a /vagrant directory which I obviously
> developers will not have in their local workstations.
> Is there a test server we could use to test that? Otherwise, it should be
> upstream?
>
> 4) CLI tests only check return code. Should they not test at least a part
> of the output (eg "TASK COMPLETE" string) ?
>
> 5) I see there are no CLI tests for object operations (eg cobbler distro
> add). I thought that might be on purpose because
> XML-RPC tests already cover the main logic of these operations, but then
> the same would apply to direct commands and testing
> them would not be needed. I assume these tests are missing because nobody
> implemented them yet?
>

> Regards,
> Alan Evangelista

Grtz,