On 09/29/2014 04:50 PM, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
At my last employer, we used cobbler with thousands of nodes. In fact, due to it being unbearably slow due to yaml, we convinced Michael to switch to JSON as the preferred serialization format. We had the setting on to prevent duplicate ip addresses as we used static dhcp reservations for everything and a pxe bootable infrastructure (custom operating system that ran HPC like jobs with the os in memory).

I've seen several places using cobbler to scale to 20+ master servers and ultimately thousands of system records. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I mostly lurk as cobbler solves my needs extremely well, but that comment needed a reply.

Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. Indeed most people I talk to use Cobbler with few systems
and I incorrectly generalized.

It amazes me that one Cobbler server can handle hundreds of systems storing its objects in the file system and loading all of them to RAM at Cobbler startup. I'd expect a database backend and a
on-demand load for that degree of scalability.

Regards,
Alan Evangelista