CObirders,

An upslope storm in late April ... a formula for birding madness in
Estes Park. The total at Lake Estes for our local group of bird nuts
was 76 species. Some highlights:

Long-eared owl, our second record for the lake, in the bird sanctuary
along the L. Estes Trail.
Marbled godwits, 2 or 3 depending on when you were there, on the spit
at the river inlet.
Willet, greater yellowlegs, spotted sandpiper, least sandpiper,
avocet, 60+ w-f ibis.
Great egret and two snowy egrets.
Black-crowned night-heron, in their favorite roosting area on Pine
Point in the sanctuary.
Hermit thrush, green-tailed towhee, spotted towhee, mourning dove,
sage thrasher, marsh wren, Say's phoebe.
Yellow-headed blackbird, one in a big flock of Brewer's at the marina.
Song, Lincoln's, savannah, vesper, white-crowned, and Brewer's sparrows.
Hooded merganser, cinnamon teal, blue-winged and green-winged teal,
redhead.
Loggerhead shrike, FOY.

Bitterly cold but hot birding.

Scott Roederer