Saturday the birds taunted us one final time in this very strange banding
season.  We weren’t even scheduled to be open; our final day was originally
the 16th, and we stayed open the 17th because of a DFO Field Trip.  Then,
had the biggest day of a VERY SLOW season; we banded 51 birds, 22 of which
we caught as we were closing the nets!  At about 12:30 p.m., after our
visitors had left, 3 volunteers and I were closing nets.  Got to nets 20 and
21, and there were 15 birds waiting – Yellow-rumped Warblers, Juncos,
Chipping Sparrows and a Downy Woodpecker.  Breakdown for the day:

Downy Woodpecker 3

Hermit Thrush 4

Myrtle Warbler 4

Audubon’s Warbler 7

Chipping Sparrow 4

Clay-colored Sparrow 1

Song Sparrow 3

White-throated Sparrow 1 (ah, yes, the only one of the season!)

Gamble’s White-crowned Sparrow 2

Slate-colored Junco 3

Oregon Junco 7

Pink-sided Junco 11

Junco (unidentified race) 1

The last 4 days (after 4 days of cold, drizzly, no banding weather) we
averaged 33 birds per day;  for the whole season 17 per day.  I’m guessing
when I review the entire season, we will see that the differences this year
are with certain species.  For example, far fewer Wilson’s Warblers, but
probably a normal or greater number of Yellow-rumpeds.  I’ll keep you
posted.

Many thanks to Joanne Haller for volunteering to run the nets the extra day,
to Francis and Joyce Commercon for staying until the UNbitter end to record
all those last-minute birds, and, of course, to DFO for having a field trip
that day!

I’ll be running the RMBO Station at Chatfield this spring, starting the last
week in April.  Have a great winter and I’ll look forward to seeing some of
you in the spring!

Meredith McBurney

Bird Bander

Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory