The pair of White-winged Crossbills at Grandview Cemetery, Fort Collins
(Larimer County) was seen briefly today around 11:30am in a spruce along the
north side of Section 7 (this is generally in the far south part of the
cemetery, about midway along the south boundary, about 75 yards in (north) from
the south boundary road).  The birds were seen by three of us (Kathy Kay from
Evergreen, Donna McLean from Greeley, and myself).  Many others tried off and
on between 8am and 1:30pm, but, as far as I know, without success.  We got onto
the birds today by their chatter.  Otherwise they were very quiet and very
secretive.  I hesitate to mention the following because it could totally wrong,
but I just had a feeling today the birds were doing something related to
nesting.  Like Red Crossbills, White-winged Crossbills are known to nest in all
months of the year, although December nesting is rare.  Unlike all the other
times I've watched them since their discovery on 22Nov, they were NOT out at
the ends of branches associated with cones, or on the ground getting snow
and/or mineral soil.  Today they were inside a large spruce crown, in the
shadows near the main trunk, occasionally chasing eachother, being somewhat
active (i.e., not just resting/sleeping) but doing something apparently
unrelated to normal cone-feeding.  The literature mentions crossbills
occasionally supplementing their seed diet with lichens from bark and that is a
possible explanation, but the trees they were in did not have visible lichen
growth.  The literature also mentions their nest location as being in exactly
the type of inner crown, shadowy site they were in today, sometimes next to the
trunk, sometimes out a ways on a limb, usually on the south and east sides of
selected trees.

If anyone sees these birds in the future, I would be particularly interested in
knowing if you see them carrying sticks or other nest material, exchanging food
with one another, or singing their song (as opposed to "chet-chet-chet"-type
contact or flight calls).  Colorado has very few substantiated nestings of this
species and Grandview Cemetery would almost certainly be the lowest in
elevation on record.

I only saw 2 Red Crossbills (one male, one female) today in several hours of
walking around.  They were in a spruce just west of the main entrance and were
probably Type 5s.

Lots of seed-extraction action among the other common species.  The deer herd
is now at least up to 5, with at least 3 males (one well-racked, very whipped
individual that follows a female around holding out his class ring, and two
spike bucks that for five minutes this morning clacked horns like boys in a
locker room towel fight).

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins

--