I headed up early today before work to take a chance at the
crossbills. I arrived at about 8:15 a.m., entering the main gate,
turning south and parking. I no sooner than got out of my car than I
could hear the male crossbill singing. He was in an ash tree, I
believe, with house finches and one robin. He flew down to the canal
with a Black-capped Chickadee and I got great photos. He then flew
and just about landed on my head before veering sharply away to land
in a spruce quite close. I know my hair is a bit.. well.. of it's own
mind, but never thought it'd be mistaken for a spruce tree. Green
jacket too.. hmm.

It stayed in the spruce before being flushed by a robin to another
where it landed high, only to be flushed by a crow. It flew to
another tree and was out on the branches eating for quite sometime
when I left.

I never saw any red crossbills or the female while I was there.

Connie Kogler
Twitter @lefthanddbirder
Loveland, CO.
BirdsOTheMorning.com