Folks- I had the pleasure of scouting for tomorrow's big ABA/CFO/BBC/ DFO Valmont birding trip this afternoon and evening with fellow leaders Dave Madonna (Plant Engineer), The Such Family (Dave, Renee, Marcel, & Joel), and Walter Szeliga. We were reminded of the importance of dressing a layer or two beyond what we thought would suffice, but despite cold extremities we had some enticing birds.

We located several specialty wintering "regulars" there such as Black- crowned Night-Heron, Western Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant, and American Pipit, and also had an adult "Blue" Goose followed later by a juv. Ross's Goose amongst the thousands of white-cheeked geese. We tallied 7 gull species, but should do better tomorrow with more eyes and by sticking it out to the bitter end (we left tonight as soon as the sun dipped, while scads of gulls were still streaming in.) The best was a 2nd-cycle Iceland Gull, but Lesser & Great Black-Backed weren't bad, either, among the Ring-billed, Herring, California, and Thayer's we observed.

Hope to see you there tomorrow!  Enjoy- Bill
           • Bill Schmoker •
        http://schmoker.org
  http://brdpics.blogspot.com
   bill.schmo...@gmail.com