Brandon Percival's post about the Golden-crowned Sparrow at Tunnel Drive prompted me to check on the Golden-Crowned Sparrow at Red Rocks. This juvenile was first reported by Brown on Dec. 19, 2009. Although I don't have pictures to prove it, the bird is still present and is molting into adult plumage. The median crown stripe is definitely golden and the sides of the crown are definitely black ( but more splotchy with some white feathers compared to the pure black on the picture Brandon posted). I saw the Golden-crowned sitting on the platform feeder in the garden area at the Red Rocks Trading Post about 9:45 this morning. I scattered some seed early in the morning, did some other birding, then returned to see the Golden- crowned. There should be seed for a day or two. After tomorrow, I would suggest bringing some seed to scatter if you want to see the bird.

Mike Henwood
Morrison - Jefferson County